Well, it is time. The Dooter will become a Kindergartener tomorrow. He's really ready. Me, not so much. The roller coaster of emotions is seriously surprising to me. I can barely talk about it without tears welling up in my eyes and my throat getting tight. I'm so excited for him, but as a mom, I'm so sad that a chapter in his short little life is closing. I can no longer just say, "Let's skip preschool and go to the zoo." I feel like it was just yesterday that I was in the throws of potty training him and now he's off to school. It's gone by so fast. Too fast. I understand now what everyone told me. It's almost like a mourning period. My baby has grown into a kid and I can't go back. I figured the best way for me to deal with all the emotion is to write a letter to him.
My sweet wonderful boy,
I can not believe that you get to go to big kid school tomorrow! It's finally time. I know how excited you are. You have the luckiest teacher in the world because she now has one of the smartest, funniest and sincerest children around in her class. To be honest, I'm a bit jealous. She'll get to hear all of your funny observations throughout the day. She'll get to giggle at all the times you get excited and jump up and down. She'll also get to see your compassion. How you always include everyone and how you always make sure everyone around you is happy.
It seems like just yesterday you were born. You were the tiniest little thing. We had to rush around and find preemie clothes for you to wear because the newborn stuff was just too big. But, my how quickly you grew! Who knew that tiny baby would be one of the biggest kids his age.
Now, that sweet little baby that would wake me up 3 times a night for 2 years is going to school. Let me give you some advice:
1. Don't eat the paste. Seriously. Don't do it. Girls will never forget if you do.
2. Dont' stress too much. After all, it's only kindergarten and you are only 5. Some parents forget that stuff, but I don't. Be a kid. Enjoy it.
3. Be nice to everyone. You will encounter bullies and kids that get picked on. Both sides just need a friend. You are very good at including everyone, so don't ever lose that.
4. No matter how bad your day gets, know that I am patiently waiting to pick you up and give you lots of hugs.
So, tomorrow, as we walk through those big doors, hand in hand, I'm sure it will be you giving me the strength to leave you. Upon entering, I'll be leaving my baby, toddler and preschooler behind and picking up my "kid" at the end of the day. Sure, I'll cry. A lot. But, it's only because I'm so sad to be closing that chapter of your life. It went by too fast and I'll never have it again. But, I'm also looking forward to the person you are becoming. I love you more than you will ever know. Have a great day!
Love,
Mom
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh man...in tears over this one. Good luck to you guys tomorrow.
ReplyDelete